Thursday, November 5, 2009

Getting There

It's been a rough 2 years of going to M.A.C.



I initially went there to just workout and start carving out my own life seperate from my significant other a.t.m. in Jan 08' (at the moment). As the months went on, I started to really enjoy what I've always wanted to do... fight. Then June of 08' I hurt my right wrist . I could not fully rotate it and my ligaments were overly pronated. I would show up to train, but not being able to throw your right hand and just jabbing all the time became frustrated. I stop going end of July and came back January 09'.



January 09' I start working out more intensely because I'm just itching for a first fight. I was in in the best shape I had been for a long time and down to 142 lbs. Day after day of practice I would work on improving bad habits I somehow picked up over time. I think it was the overwhelming pressure of getting that first fight out of the way that made me really push myself way too far, I injured my left wrist via Kimura June 09'.



It's really frustrating you know, working so hard and getting so close, but yet you're so far due to injury. It was a good thing I was going on vacation in July to Hawaii because I really just needed some time for myself and really think about fighting. I wondered, Am I wasting my time? Am I chasing a dream that only I can see? Hawaii really brought me back to my roots; the real essence of who I've always been. I've just been too caught up in a lot of crap to really remember. July 08 - July 09 was a years worth of time I went through a lot. I grew a lot and started to throw away the clutter that had started to collect in my life. The best part of this year's worth of growth, I finally felt like me.



Coming back from Hawaii, I felt miserable though. I really missed the island life and everything about it. I missed how my childhood felt in Guam and Hawaii really captured a lot of it. I a few weeks just sulking until one day my coach called me back to the gym. It's August 09' and I'm back in the gym throwing my right hand and it feels so good. I'm careful with my left wrist since it's injured, but I've been seeing a Chiropractor *insert shameless plug = Ulyss Bidkaram is the best in the business* and it totally speeds up the healing process of it all. I walked in at 162lbs after being gone for so long, eating all the wrong foods, and being a great anchor at flip cup, haha.



I'm down to 153 lbs and still shooting to get lower. My first match was scheduled October 17th @ Milpitas for a Grappling Tournament. It got cancelled due to "conflicting schedules with the Gracie Open and U.S. Open." Bummahs Brah! But when one door closes, another one opens. December 12 is what I'm looking forward to. I've been training hard and still trying to balance a full time job, a part time job, and going to school at night. How do I do it? I just wanna be the best that I can push myself to be and more. If that means I have to sacrifice then so be it. I'll sacrifice. I got a few tricks up my sleeve and great friends that support me.



This is my favorite picture so far. One of the biggest compliments I've gotten about my skills came from Val Ignatov. He said I was tough and if I keep it up, I'll be going places. He's a real nice guy, but if you roll with him, SWURRRRR your body will be hurting the next day.



No comments:

Post a Comment